The urban middle class and aspiring entrants into it expressed the strongest doubts about Telangana’s future in a united Andhra state. They
were especially apprehensive about the effect on the middle classes of largescale in-migration of Andhra cultivators, students, lawyers, and unemployed youth in the event of a merger with Andhra. The aggressive, mobile people of the Circars were a particular worry.
The Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VI of Hyderabad established the first city school in the name ‘Madarsa Dar-ul-uloom’ as early as 1865, later Nizam Osman Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VII, converted it into a City High School. The school moved into the present grand building in 1921. Intermediate sections (F.A) of Osmania University with 30 students were introduced in 1921 under the supervision of the high school with Urdu as the medium of instruction. In 1929, the school was upgraded to a college and was named as ‘City College’. It became a constituent college of Osmania University.
Students initially gathered to protest against the Warangal incident and later took out a rally which was joined by many commoners. Many politicians including Venkata Swamy, Mulchand Laxminaraya and Konda Laxman Bapuji tried to dissuade the students from taking out a rally; but the students were resolvent.
Gradually, the rally became uncontrollable, there was an exchange of stones, and the police lathi-charged the agitators. This resulted in firing in which two people were killed on the spot and two others died later in the hospital. It also resulted in injuries to many police personnel and the general public.
Measures were taken by the government after City College incident:-
1. A Cabinet sub-committee was formally announced on September 7, 1952. Members were KV Ranga Reddy, Dr Melkote Phulchand Gandhi and Nawaz Jung Bahadur. Purpose of the committee: To study the Mulki rules and suggest changes and means of effective implementation of the Mulki rules in consultation with the students and the other stakeholders.
2. Justice Pingali Jagan Mohan Reddy committee was appointed to investigate police firing on September 3 and 4.
- TSPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Group I Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022