Union Health Minister, Mansukh Mandaviya, released a report titled “The State of the World’s Children 2021: On My Mind: promoting, protecting and caring for children’s mental health” on October 5, 2021 in New Delhi. The state of World’s Children 2021 report is UNICEF’s global flagship publication.
- The report highlights the significant impact of COVID-19 pandemic on mental health of the children.
- This report is significant because, mental health is an old issue & emerging issue. Furthermore, COVID-19 was a test of mental stress for entire world.
- As per UNICEF report, about 14 percent of 15 to 24-year-olds in India, accounting for 1 in 7, reported feeling depressed or they were having little interest in doing things.
The State of the World’s Children 2021 report
This report examines the mental health of child, adolescent and caregiver. It focuses on risks and protective factors at critical moments if life course. It also digs into the social determinants which ultimately shape mental health and well-being. The report also calls for commitment, communication and action in order to promote good mental health for every child. It also seeks to protect vulnerable children and care for children facing the challenges.
Findings of the report
UNICEF’s state of the World’s Children Report 2021 has warned that children and young people might feel the impact of COVID-19 on their mental health and well-being for several years.
The report highlights that, how children and young people carried the burden of mental health even before COVID-19.
As per report, children with mental health disorders in India are mostly undiagnosed and hesitant in asking for help or treatment.
50 million children in India were affected by mental health issues, before the pandemic. Out of them, 80 – 90 per cent children have not asked for support.
As per survey conducted across 21 countries, 14 per cent of respondents aged 15 to 24 years in India reported feeling depressed.
TSPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for TSPSC Prelims and TSPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by TSPSC Notes are as follows:-
- TSPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Group I Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022