Paper II of Telangana PSC Mains plays a crucial role in not only Telangana PSC Mains Exam . TSPSC Mains History, Culture and Geography are designed by TSPSC Toppers and other civil servants. Detail Notes can be browsed at the following links.
History and Culture of India, with special reference to Modern Period (1757 to 1947 A.D.)
- Early Indian Civilizations-Indus and Vedic; Emergence of Religious Movements in the sixth century BC – Jainism and Buddhism; Indo- Greek Art and Architecture – Gandhara, Mathura and Amaravathi Schools; Social and Cultural condition under the Mauryan, Satavahanas and Guptas .
- Advent of Islam and its impact on Indian Society – Nature and significance of Bhakti and Sufi Movements; Contribution of Kakatiya, and Vijayanagara rulers to Language, Literature, Art and Architecture: the contribution of Delhi Sultans and Mughals to Language , Literature, Art, Architecture and Fine Arts, Monuments; Emergence of Composite Culture in the Deccan and India.
- The Establishment of British Colonial Rule in India: Carnatic Wars , Battle of Plassey, Anglo- Mysore, Anglo-Maratha and Anglo-Sikh Wars; Economic Impact of British Colonial Rule: Land Revenue Settlements in British India; –Commercialization of Agriculture; Rise of Landless Agrarian Labour; Famines and Poverty; De-industrialization; Decline of Traditional Crafts; Drain of Wealth; Growth of Trade and Commerce– Economic Transformation of India; Railroads, Transport and Communication Network– Telegraph and Postal Services.
- Anti – British uprisings: Tribal and Peasant revolts in the Nineteenth Century–Causes and Consequences of 1857 revolt. Factors responsible for the rise of Indian Nationalism; Rise and Growth of Socio- Religious and Anti-Caste Movements: Brahma Samaj, Arya Samaj, Aligarh Movement, Satya Shodak Samaj, Jotiba and Savithribhai Phule, Pandita Ramabai, Narayana Guru, Ayyankali, Annie Beasant; Non- Brahmin, Justice and Self-Respect Movements: Periyar, Mahatma Gandhi, Ambedkar and others.
- Three Phases of Indian Freedom Struggle- Phase I-1885-1905, Phase II-1905-1920 and Phase III-1920-1947. The rise and growth of All India Kisan Sabha, Workers and Tribal movements; Issue of Gender and Women’s movement; Growth of Socialist and Communist Movements; Growth of Communalism; Independence and Partition of India.
History and Cultural Heritage of Telangana
- History and culture of Ancient Telangana – Satavahanas, Ikshvakus and Vishnukundins; Rise and growth of Jainism and Buddhism; Socio-Cultural – Conditions- Language, Literature, Art and Architecture.
- Medeival Telangana and the emergence of composite culture – Kakatiyas and Velama kingdoms and their contribution to Socio- Cultural Development, Literature, Music, Dance, Art and Architecture; Qutub Shahis and their contribution to Telugu literature, art and architecture. Protest Movements against Kakatiyas and Qutub Shahis- Sammakka Sarakka and Sarvaipapanna
- The Establishment of Asaf Jahi Dynasty – Salar Jung Reforms and Modernization of Telangana ; Socio- Economic development under the Nizams – Land Tenures and Social System, Jagirdars, Deshmukhs etc.and Vetti– British Paramountcy and Nizam- Revolt of 1857 in Hyderabad and the role of Turre Baz Khan; Socio- Economic Development during the rule of the sixth and seventh Nizams – Growth of Railways, Transport and Communication System, Establishment of Industries, Educational Institutions – Monuments of Asaf Jahi period.
- Socio-Cultural Awaking in Telangana- Andhra Sarasvath Parishat – Literary and Library Movements; Establishment of Nizam Rashtra Andhra Jana Sangham – Andhra Mahasabha – Social Reform Movements -Brahma Samaj, Arya Samaj and Adi- Hindu and Dalit Movements, Role of Bhagyareddy Varma- Andhra Mahila Sabha and the growth of Women’s Movement. Role of Hyderabad State Cogress and Vandemataram Movement.
- Peoples Movement against the Nizam’s Rule – Adivasi revolts – Ramji Gond and Kumaram Bheemu– Telangana Peasants Armed Struggle – Role of Andhra Mahasabha and the Communists–Majlis- Ittehadul- Muslimeen Party, Rajakars and Kasim Razvi – Police Action and the End of Nizam’s Rule – Integration of Hyderabad State into Indian Union. Rebelition
Geography of India and Telangana.
- India – Physical setting, Physiography, Drainage, Climate– Mechanism of Monsoon, effect of El- Nino and La Niño, Rainfall variability- Floods and Drought, Soils, Vegetation and Wildlife- Degradation and Conservation Measures. Major Minerals and Energy Resources- distribution and conservation, Energy Crisis – role of non-conventional energy resources. Marine Resources – Economic significance, EEZ. Water resources – availability, problems of inter – state Water sharing, Conservation Measures.
- Agriculture and Irrigation – Major Food and Non-Food crops, Agro Climatic Regions, Green Revolution, recent trends in Agriculture; Major Irrigation Projects and Command Area Development; Industries- Major Industries – Iron and Steel, Cotton Textiles, Cement, Sugar, Automobile, IT, & Food Processing Industries, Localisation Factors, Industrial Corridors & Economic Development; Transportation: Means of Transportation, Role of Road and Rail Network in Economic Development, Highways and Express Highways; Major Ports – changing trends and direction of India’s Trade – role of WTO; Strategic location of India in the Indian Ocean; Population – distribution, growth, Demographic characteristics, Demographic dividend and transition, HDI, Population problems and Policies. Urbanisation process- Spatial pattern, growth of Megacities, problems of Urban Growth and Policies, concept of Smart Cities.
- Geographical extent of Hyderabad State and present Telangana State Physical setting, Relief, Climate, Rivers, Soils, Forest cover and Wild life–distribution, depletion and conservation. Minerals and Energy resources – Coal, Iron and Limestone distribution. Thermal and Hydro Power Projects – Problems and Prospects.
- Agriculture- Rainfed/Dry land Agriculture, Drought prone areas and Mitigation Measures. Sources of Irrigation: Canals, Tanks and Wells, Depletion of Ground Water and its conservation- Mission Kakatiya. Industries – Cement, Sugar, Pharma, Electronic, Tourism, IT, ITIR, SEZs. Handicrafts and Household Industries and their problems. Road and Rail Network distribution and role in Economic Development. Population – distribution, growth, density, demographic characteristics (sex ratio, age, literacy, etc.,) Tribal Population – distribution, problems of Tribal areas and policies for Tribal Area Development.
- Urbanisation in Telangana State, Spatio-temporal changes, Urban Growth and Migration. Evolution and phases of Urban Growth of Hyderabad, transformation from historical to modern cosmopolitan Megapolis, Primacy of Hyderabad in Telangana State, City structure, Industries and Industrial estates, urban infrastructure and transport – ORR and Metro – Problems and Planning – role of GHMC and HUDA (Metropolitan Development Plan – 2031, HMDA), Hyderabad as a Tourist Centre and Global city.