Telangana: Survey to curb monkey menace, identify hotspots
In a first-of-its-kind initiative in Telangana, the agricultural department has initiated a ‘monkey menace survey’ in villages across the state to identify hotspots of monkey movements and the number of monkeys.
The survey is being conducted because the monkey problem has been identified as the main hindrance to crop conversion from paddy to groundnut.
According to officials, Telangana, like Himachal Pradesh, is dealing with this issue and the northern state used a sterilisation technique to limit monkey movements. Agriculture officers around the state were requested to submit the details of monkeys in a five-question format and a special web provision was provided in the department’s crop booking system with the name ‘monkey menace survey’.
The ‘monkey menace survey’ is being conducted because the monkey problem has been identified as the main hindrance to crop conversion from paddy to groundnut.
Chile passes law allowing same-sex marriage
Chile has passed a law permitting same-sex couples to marry on December 9, 2021.
The adopt was signed into law by President Sebastian Pinera during a event attended by activists for LGBT and broader human rights.
The ceremony was organised more than six months after conservative leader announced that he would smooth the way for a marriage equality law which had long been pending in the nation’s Congress.
The new law will allow all children with a father and a mother, with two fathers or with two mothers to have the same rights and same protection.
This move will help hundreds of children and adolescents who have been unable to get legal protection from both parents.
Labour Ministry on Global pension report
Ministry of Labour and Employment told the Rajya Sabha that; a Global Pension Index that placed pension system of India towards bottom of the list was not prepared on the basis of reliable comparable international data.
The Global Pension Index Report was published in 2021 and has ranked India at 40th place, out of 43 countries for its pension system.
Report was published by Mercer, a management consulting firm.
Index is prepared on the basis of certain criteria of sustainability, adequacy, and integrity.
Index placed India in the same category of Japan, South Korea and a few other countries.
NPS Trust is a specialised division of Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority in India. It works under the parent head of Ministry of Finance.
Nutrition Mission: States used 56% of funds in last 3 years
The Minister for Women & Child Development, Smriti Irani, noted in Parliament that, State Governments and Union Territories have used only 56% of the total funds released under Poshan Abhiyan or Nutrition Mission in last three years.
The central government highlighted that, out of total amount of Rs 5312 crore given between financial years 2019 to 2021, Rs 2985 crore was used.
Poshan Abhiyan was launched in March 2018 with the aim of reducing stunting, low birth weight, undernutrition challenges by 2% per year. It also seeks to reduce anaemia among young children, women and adolescents by 3% per year until 2022.
Cabinet approves Ken-Betwa River interlinking project
Union Cabinet approved the Ken-Betwa River interlinking project, ahead of elections to major North Indian states.
- Ken-Betwa River Interlinking project is worth Rs 44,605-crore project.
- This project promises to address the issue of water scarcity in Bundelkhand region, spreading across Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- This project is expected to benefit several poverty-stricken regions in MP and UP.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will formally lay the foundation stone for this project soon.
Power Ministry approves Inter-state projects worth Rs 15,893 cr
Union power minister, R K Singh, approved 23 new inter-state transmission system projects of worth Rs 15,893 crore.
- Out of 23 ISTS project, 13 projects are having an estimated cost of Rs 14,766 crore. These projects will be developed under Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB).
- While, 10 projects having an estimated cost of Rs 1,127 crore will developed under Regulated Tariff Mechanism (RTM).
- The new transmission projects will facilitate:
- Evacuation system for 14 GW of renewable projects in Rajasthan
- 5 GW of RE projects in Gujarat
- 1 GW Neemuch Solar Park in Madhya Pradesh and
- Feeding areas near Akhnoor& Jammu region by setting up a Siot Substation in Jammu.
NCW launches ‘She is a Changemaker’ programme
National Commission for Women (NCW) launched a pan-India capacity building programme called “She is a Changemaker” on December 7, 2021.
- She is a Changemaker programme was launched for women in Politics.
- It is a capacity building programme, which will be undertaken in association with region-wise training institutes.
- It will be implemented with an objective of undertaking capacity building of women political leaders as well as improving their decision making & communication skills.
Launch of training programmes
Launch of training programmes under the She is a Changemaker programme was held in collaboration with RhambhauMhalgiPrabodhini, Thane, Maharashtra.
NCW is the statutory body of Government of India. It is usually concerned with advising the government on all policy matters related to women. NCW was established on January 31, 1992 in accordance with the provisions of National Commission for Women Act, 1990.TSPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for TSPSC Prelims and TSPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by TSPSC Notes are as follows:-
- TSPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Group I Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- TSPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022